Monday, August 29, 2011

Zucchini & Banana Muffins

Today I baked. I haven't stress baked in a little while (I've baked for parties, etc, but no "stress-baking") and my mind was racing today so on went the apron. 

I ripped this recipe out of last month's Everyday Food mag (I love me some Martha) and wanted to tweak it a bit. So the adventure began. 

Luckily, I had some help from my trusty assistants who were right at my feet, literally, the entire time. 



Zucchini & Banana Muffins
adapted from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food


*1¾ cups whole wheat flour
*½ cup ground flaxseed
*½ cup light brown sugar
*1 tb pure maple syrup
*2 ts baking soda
*1 ts baking powder
*½ ts coarse salt
*1 ts cinnamon
*½ ts nutmeg
*1½ cups grated zucchini (1 large zucchini)
*⅓ cup mashed ripe banana (I used 1 large banana, and could have used more)
*¾ cup whole milk
*1 large egg lightly beaten
*1 ts pure vanilla extract



1. Preheat oven 350°. Coat standard muffin tin lightly with cooking/baking spray. Mix dry ingredients (flour, flax, sugar, soda, powder, salt, and spices) in a large bowl. Add zucchini and banana and combine. Whisk milk, egg, vanilla, and maple syrup in a small bowl and add to the flour mix and stir until just combined.

2. Use an ice cream scoop to fill your cups about ¾ full. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean ~20 minutes. *With my oven, they were perfect in 17 minutes. Let them cool on a wire rack.

This made 16 muffins for me (Martha said 12!)



 
So incase you have the need for some stress baking, but don't want to blow the diet - these might be the way to go. Healthy, whole wheat, low fat and under 180 calories a piece. 

Enjoy :)

No comments: