Saturday, November 14, 2009

Got me thinking...

So I am photographing a baptism tomorrow morning for lovely friends and their nearly 4 month old baby boy. I'll be the first to admit that church is one of the last places I want to go, but I don't know if I could give you a solid reason for that. The baptism made me think about what that was all about. I don't have it figured out  yet, and understand I never will, but as I was going through my old planner (I inherited the need for Franklin Planners from mom - Franklin Covey and I thank you for that Ma) I found a page in the notes section from some time last year. On it were 2 quotes and I couldn't for the life of me remember where they were from, but they were fitting with what I thinking about.

"The search for God is a reversal of the normal, mundane, worldly order . . . You abandon your comforting and familiar habits with the hope that something greater will be offered to you in return for what you've given up."

"Devotion is diligence without understanding. Faith is a way of saying 'Yes, I pre-accept the terms of the universe and I embrace in advance what I am presently incapable of understanding.'"

Understanding and hope. Simple enough right? I wish.

I later realized that I copied these from Eat, Pray, Love when I was reading it in 2008. I don't know why I wrote it down at the time. But I like these words. The book was pretty good, nothing to jump up and down about, but these words are simple and I have a feeling I'm going to come back to them from time to time in hopes of understanding them.

No comments: