Tuesday, February 28, 2012

From Starbucks and Sushi to Silos and Sticks.

If you would have bet me $1million 6 months ago that we would buy a house in the area I grew up, I would have laughed at you, shook your hand, and started thinking of ways to spend my new found fortune. But here we are, about to do that very thing. And I must say, I couldn't be happier. It's going to be pretty shocking to our system. We are going from living 1.5 miles from Phil's work to living 45 miles from it. That's pretty huge. But considering it took Phil 45 minutes to get home just the other day, the time really won't be as shocking as the gas pump charges.

As someone who grew up in the country, when I looked out the front door of this house and saw silos, I began mentally moving in. Thinking of which room would be Sam's, which drawer the utensils would go in the kitchen, what color would look great in the dining room. I began thinking of how much fun Sam and Booger would have running around the big yard (the one RIGHT outside the door, not the one we have to bundle up and walk 15 minutes to!!). I saw them playing by the edge of the woods, collecting sticks in a few years. And learning to play basketball in the driveway. And pictured sitting on the porch with a glass of lemonade (OK, lets be real, a big ol glass of wine) watching them run around with Daisy. Grass stains. Crickets. Cow manure. Camping in the back yard. Quiet nights. No more drunk high heel clacking. No more witnessed walks of shame. And stars. We can see the stars. I almost forgot what they looked like.

While at first the idea of moving in 30 days  (although fully my idea) seemed really quick, I realize now that it's not rushed. It's perfect. I've been waiting for this for 5 years. Holding my breath waiting for it.   Actually, I think I've been imagining this my whole life. Raising my kids somewhere they can grow, learn, play, laugh, get into trouble. Where I have to check them for ticks each summer night. Where I have to stand on the front porch and yell their name when it's dinner time. Where they can be close to family and know the importance of spending time with them regularly, just like I learned.

So send us your good juju. All the good vibes for a smooth and hassle-free next 30 days. Because I'm really looking forward to putting that key on my key chain on March 30th. And opening the front door and finally exhaling.

No comments: