Friday, April 8, 2011

Cross-post . . . 52 on Friday

This is a cross-post from my Meghan Boyer Photography blog. It was exactly what I wanted to write here, on my personal blog, but it fit in to the theme for a project I do each week. Check out the original post here.


Theme: shadows


This is my husband, who is home from the hospital and wearing that content smile as he watches Sam play for the first time in a week here.


Shadows. Shadows can make beautiful images. They also can make beautiful metaphors. I thought a lot about the theme this week. Actually, I do every week. Even with all the thought, I tend to figure out what I'm going to post around midnight on Thursday the night before. In the group, we all like to have our post up by 8am Friday morning. With so many people in a group, organization is key and there are some great people who make sure we all stay on top of the deadlines! ;) So last night, a bit before midnight, I posted my husbands photo and the abridged version of  my post and then ran off to wake him up for his midnight IV antibiotics through his PICC line.
I will be the first one to admit that although it's not something I'm proud of or something that was conscious, since my son was born, my husband has slipped partly into the shadows. I used to LOVE to make dinners and we would hang out at night, watch TV or go to the gym or movies together and now at night I am either way too tired to do much of anything or I'm upstairs in my office working alone. I make dinner a few nights a week, relying on leftovers to hold us over so I don't have to do it two nights in a row. I'm sure this is fairly common (I hope!), but even after a year to get back into the swing of things, my priorities haven't gotten back to where they should be. My husband is a bit neglected.
When he injured himself in February in a skiing incident, I was less than thrilled at first. But I came around. After his surgery, complications with an infection put him back in the hospital for a week; and now he has 4-6 weeks of IV antibiotics at home. Ok, I thought. We can do this. What I needed to do, I realized, was pull Phil out of the shadows and focus on him and what he needs. Ice? Check (my man at 7-11 always carries my 3 bags at a time to the car for me since our ice maker is broken). A ride to his Dr. appointment? Check. Forgot his water glass in the kitchen? Check, I'll get it! Patience  - at least in dealing with grown-ups - is not my strongest trait, but I was really trying to make it easier not worse for him. I slip here and there since it truly has been really hard for me to have to do 100% of the things that need to be done for Sam, Daisy, Phil, the house, etc., but I really try.
So I pulled him out of the shadows, and my "Shadow", in the form of a 13 month old little giggling maniac, seems to be completely ok with it :). Maybe this is what I needed to remember that I was a wife before I was a mother.

Go on and check out Megan Wold, North Dakota Photographer. Beautiful photos as always! Go on ahead and check them out! And remember, I'll be back to add a bit more.

No comments: