Sunday, June 19, 2011

Thanks Dad

I remember one time - I must have been in early high school - when my sisters and I met my dad for lunch just randomly because we were all out and the timing worked out. I don't remember the details, but I remember I was going to be late, and I felt so guilty that my Dad was going to be disappointed (he wasn't) that I was crying hysterically on the way there. My sister thought I was crazy and couldn't understand what the heck was wrong with me. And then of course some crazy country song like "Daddy's Hands" or something equally ridiculous came on the radio and only made things worse. Stupid country songs. Every. Single. Time.

Why do I remember this completely random moment? Because I remember it as an example of how much I love my Dad. Would he have been mad I was late. No way and that wasn't even the point. It's just that I loved doing things like that with him and I was looking forward to it, I didn't want to miss anything by being late. A tad dramatic, maybe. A little emotional, definitely. But thats how I tend to be when it comes to my parents and my feelings about them.

One thing I love most about my Dad is that he didn't have to say "I love you" 100 times a day. I knew it. I felt it. I could tell just by the way he would crooked smile at me, tease me, joke with me. With all of us. I always strive to give off that same feeling of undeniable love for Sam and Phil. I don't want them to ever doubt it. I never did with my parents.

So if I were to sit and really write a post about my Dad, or my Mom, it would be for sure a rambling, sappy mess. And, well, thats just me. So this simple, silly, seemingly insignificant story will have to do. This is my crooked smile, my tease, and my joking around. I hope my Dad feels that.

Thankfully, Sam (and I) have Phil. A Dad that will go above and beyond. A Dad that strives to protect, love, and support with all his heart. A Dad that changes diapers, gives baths, shares freezy-pops, tickles  and laughs. I know Sam feels that. I am reminded of that every weekday when we wait for Daddy. He grabs his belly with excitement, ducks down and jumps up because his happiness explodes out of him when the door opens and he sees his Daddy.

We try to celebrate that everyday. Not just Father's Day. Even if it's in a 1.5 minute pretend phone call made from the TV remote calling Daddy to say hi and I love you.



Seriously, Aunt Erin. I am NOT sharing my corn with you!



A good ol' Harford County baby pool. 


Signing "please". Usually it's a 2 handed belly rubbing extravaganza, this one seems to be a bit more tame.

If you have a caption for this, I'll give you a prize...



 Daddy tickles are the best :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Comment for picture Meg "OOOOH I can't wait until I can crack a beer like that!"
Kristin U.

TJOsMommy said...

Comment for picture "Hurry! Open it up! Dump it out! Cause I gotta pee NOW!!!!" :)