Monday, January 16, 2012

Cranberry Almond Granola Adventures

I tried this granola recipe last week because I hate how expensive granola is at my grocery store! This was cheap to make, and tasted pretty good. Not great, but that could be my error. My first batch looked perfect, but then because I didn't follow the exact recipe, I burned it :/ So my second batch, I didn't have any sliced almonds, so I chopped some, leaving it a little clumsy, if that even makes sense. And I also forgot to spray the foil the second time so it completely stuck to the pan. Whoops. That was pretty annoying. Also, it doesn't seem to be the healthiest recipe (with the butter and brown sugar) but since I can't have booze, I'll take sweets. I'll try a healthier one after this baby comes!

Cranberry Almond Granola

2c old fashioned oats
1/2c dried cranberries
1c sliced almonds (much better than chopped!)
1ts cinnamon
1/4ts salt
4tb (1/2 stick) butter (reason for my "not the healthiest"disclaimer!)
1/4c lightly packed brown sugar
1/4c honey
1ts vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 400˚
2. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil (see note about size of pan and cooking time). Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Mix oats, cranberries, almonds, cinnamon and salt
4. Combine the butter, sugar and honey in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring until the butter melts and the mixture begins to boil. Add the vanilla and stir. Remove from the heat.
5. Pour the butter over the oats, mixing until well coated. Transfer to the prepared pan and, using a spatula, press the oats evenly into the pan.
6. Bake until the top is golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes*. Transfer to a rack and cool. Using the foil as aid, lift out of the pan and place on a work surface. Crumble into pieces. Serve with berries and yogurt.

*If using a 9" square pan, bake 20-25 minutes. If using a 13x9" pan, 15-18 minutes.

yummmm

perfect with "Banilla" yogurt, blueberries and banana

No comments: