Monday, January 9, 2012

The Name Game

Great. Thanks a lot Beyonce. Now I can't name my son Green because I'll seem trendy going with the color thing because you had to go and name your baby Blue. Now I'm screwed. I could have even gone with Blue myself. Blue Boyer. I could say "you're my boy, Blue!!" all day. And Beyonce and Jay-Z had to take that from me.

I think it would be easier to name a baby if I were a celebrity. You can get away with some crazy shit. Pilot Inspektor? Taken. Moon Unit?? Taken. Bronx Mowgli? Taken. Zuma? Zowie? Arpad? Speck Wildhorse?? All taken. I could just blindly point to a few letters in the alphabet and create a new "American" name. I could pick a name and put a lowercase i in front of it in honor of Steve Jobs? iPaul. Has a nice ring, no?

By the third time around, thinking of another boy name is pretty hard. With Henry, it was frustrating. I merely suggested Henry Philip once to Phil and he held on to that name with a kung-fu grip. He untimely "won" the name battle, and in the end, it was perfect. With Sam, We knew we wanted the middle name to be Henry. So that knocked out a few names that didn't go with it. We tossed around some names, and almost every name I suggested - Phil hated. But in all fairness, every name Phil suggested made me gag. We're a little opposite. Samuel was on the suggestion list the first time around and of course Phil hated it because it wasn't Henry. But then I showed him what it meant, and he was turned. And then clutched on to that name with the afore-mentioned grip.

So now I've found a name I like. Finally. I know I have time. I know I might change my mind in some crazy pregnancy induced mania over the next 19 weeks. But I saw it, remembered it from a list I'd made in the past, and thought "that's it". And there is no "k" in place of a "c". No hyphens or apostrophes. It's not a color in the rainbow.

Now all I have to do is convince Phil. Because I've got a kung-fu grip too. That and you just don't mess with a grumpy pregnant lady who has made up her mind. She thinks.

1 comment:

Lisa Barnum said...

We had the hardest time with boys names. Grady was decided upon in the operating room. Dempsey was on our first 'boy' list and Sean forgot he didn't like it by the third time around. And I already have him liking another boy's name...so we gotta have a fourth ;)