Monday, January 17, 2011

comfort

When I was a kid I had a "little pillow". That thing was nasty. Seroiusly. Blood stained. Drool stained. Gross. But I loved it. I don't remember when I was really little dragging it around or anything, but it was always on my bed at night. Sometimes I wish I still had it. I can still remember how soft it was. All worn in. The stuffing so matted down there was practically no fluff to it at all.

Sam's "little pillow" is Snoop Dog. I will admit, I created the monster of Snoop Dog. When he stopped taking a pacifier, I wanted to make sure he had some kind of comfort in the middle of the night besides me so I started throwing Snoop in his bassinet and crib with him. And now, Snoop is a permanent fixture in our day. If Sam is grumpy, Snoop Dog makes him stop whining - even if only temporarily. If Sam is feeling playful, a nice game of peek a boo with my head covered by Snoop always brings out giggles. And when he's tired? Forget about going to bed without Snoop. If Snoop Dog slips through the crib rails, Sam will without fail wake up screaming.

I love that this little weird blanket with a head brings him such comfort and joy. I also love when he mistakes Daisy's ear for Snoop and buries his head into hers.

As a grown up, I think it's a little sad it's not acceptable for adults to have a Snoop. I'm not saying I want to walk around with a blankie in my back pocket or anything, but what is it that is constant in my life that I know will make me smile, laugh, and feel better the second I touch it. I think I have a few of these things. Kind of like how Sam has 3 Snoops (a pair and a spare!). Phil, Sam, and Daisy are my Snoop Dogs. Without fail, when I am sad, giddy, sleepy, sick, happy, or lonely, seeing them always brings me comfort.

And sometimes, I'll admit, I sleep with one of Sam's Snoop Dogs. That thing is really soft.

No comments: