Monday, January 10, 2011

details

My new favorite thing - Sam now throws his arm around my neck when I pick him up. Sometimes it's just for a second, but often thats the best second of my day. There's nothing like it. Another new favorite thing - the dimple in Sam's chin thats getting a little bit more defined. My grandfather had a dimple in his chin. I like to think thats where Sam gets it from. And another new favorite thing - Sam's eye color...It changes from green to brown. Sometimes it seems dark, sometimes it seems really bright. But most of the time it's so similar to Phils eye color. I secretly (alright not very secretly at all) wanted Sam to have my eye color because I love green eyes, but I actually love that he has Phil's. And another - Sam's eyelashes. While they are not a new favorite thing, they make me swoon every time I see them!






You know, I take several (hundred) photos of Sam every day. The poor kid is definitely going to have the "photographers child" complex. I'll be VERY lucky to get a smile out of him once a year as he gets older, it's just how it goes. But thats really ok. Because we smile and giggle so much when the camera is away, that I know I'll never forget those times. I don't need a photo to remember that. What I'll remember when I see the photos I do take, is me behind the camera singing Elmo, talking like Bert (I definitely do a better Bert than Ernie), blowing raspberries, putting things on my head, etc, to get Sam to look at me. This might explain why he usually looks at the camera like he's confused. He probably is! All the jumping around like an idiot I do...it's definitely confusing! 

But it's all worth it. We have fun, we make messes, we dance around like idiots, we giggle, we drool (yes sometimes I do it too), we annoy Daisy, we go up the steps, we go down the steps, we read books, we share lunch. And I always want to do these things. I never want to be so worried about taking photos of Sam that I miss all the fun we have. I don't just want to capture the moments in photos, I want to be a part of the experiences that he is too young to remember, but I know I will treasure always. And treasure them I do...

1 comment:

Sharon said...

That made me tear up. In a good way. I was recently talking to my mom and she said that some of her best memories are just playing games with me, reading to me, being silly and just hanging out together when I was little. I hope one day I can give a child a "photographers child" complex and that I'll feel a little arm around my neck.
Thank you for sharing these little moments.